Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Review-I'm So Happy for You



From the Back Cover
What if your best friend, whom you've always counted on to flounder in life and love (making your own modest accomplishments look not so bad), suddenly starts to surpass you in every way?

Wendy's best friend, Daphne, has always been dependably prone to catastrophe. And Wendy has always been there to help. If Daphne veers from suicidal to madly in love, Wendy offers encouragement. But when Daphne is suddenly engaged, pregnant, and decorating a fabulous town house in no time at all, Wendy is...not so happy for her. Caught between wanting to be the best friend she prides herself on being and crippling jealousy of flighty Daphne, Wendy takes things to the extreme, waging a full-scale attack on her best friend-all the while wearing her best, I'm-so-happy-for-you smile-and ends up in way over her head.

Rosenfeld has a knack for exposing the not-always-pretty side of being best friends--in writing that is glittering and diamond-sharp. I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU is a smart, darkly humorous, and uncannily dead-on novel about female friendship.

My Review
Where to start with this book? I know of many women (including myself) that would fit the descriptions of some of the main characters in this book. I know I've had friendships that were EXACTLY like the ones described on the pages of this book. Who hasn't felt little twinges of jealous at a friend's seemingly "perfect" life? Had silly spats with best friends about stupid things? Had their feelings hurt by someone they cared about? This book was a very honest view of the friendships and roles women take in life, not only with themselves but with each other. The relationships were real and the main character, Wendy, was someone I could relate to. The only real problem I had with the book was the strained relationship between Wendy and Adam. They really didn't seem like a very stable and loving couple, but then I think that was the point. The ending was a little predictable but played out well enough to satisfy me. I think what I am trying to say is that I really enjoyed this book and am glad I got the chance to read it! It was realistic with a touch of humor at the way some women..okay most of us..act around each other. I give it a 3.5/5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds interesting! I'm already sympathising with poor Wendy, but at the same time hesitant of knowing far far she will go to sabotage Daphne.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!