Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mini Challenge-Fall Catch-Up Read-a-Thon

The Mini-Challenge was to visit the ALA website and visit the list of banned or challenged books and pick one that you have read or would like to read, then explain why. Here is my answer:



I've read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley last year. I loved it and was unnerved by it all at the same time! I didn't read it because it was banned. I read it because the subject matter was intriguing to me. It scared the crap out of me that people could become like the characters. The way the world was in the book, I could see happening in reality. THAT was scary to me.

Looking at the list, I can see that I've read several other banned books. The books I've read have all been what I would consider some of my favorites, which really saddens me.

I've read these banned books:
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
1984 by George Orwell
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (one of my favorites!)
Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (WTF!? Why?)
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne (again..wtf!?)
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (love)
The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
The Awakening by Kate Chopin (love)

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Melissa! I really need to read Brave New World...it sounds intriguing. You have also read a lot of great classics there. Gone with the Wind and Lord of the Rings are my favorites from that list. Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be participating in Banned Books week and reading or re-reading some of the books on there. I'll be putting my post on it up tomorrow or Thursday.

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!