Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Review: The Night Cicus-Erin Morgenstern


Blurb: 
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.

Book Details:
  • Hardcover: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Doubleday; First Edition edition (September 13, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0385534639
My Review: 
OH wow! This book! I was hoping this book would live up to the hype and it did! It completely surpassed the hype and blasted off into space! This has to be one of the most beautifully written books I've read all year. There were several times where I just sat there reading slack jawed and wide eyed in wonder. This rarely ever happens with me. I lost myself in this book and drifted off so many times my husband actually asked me if I was okay. I found myself thinking about this book, even when I wasn't reading it. THAT was how hard it rocked.

The characters are all well constructed and interesting. I just wanted to know more about them! I wanted to understand what was going on and why things were the way they were. This book had me at page one. I have sat here trying to rack my brains for something that was wrong or something I would change and I can only come up with one thing..I wished there was more about the contest. When did it start? Why did it start? That was the biggest and only thing that I felt was close to a negative. That would be the only thing I would change about the book.

I do love this book and will recommend it with  a big smile and a thumbs up!

I gave it a 5 out of 5.

3 comments:

  1. I just won this awhile back in one of the giveaway hops. Lucky me! Great review, Melissa. I can't wait to read it!

    Are you getting ready for the read-a-thon? I've had an influx of prize donations in the past day so it's looking like it's going to be another fun time. =O) Also, if you haven't already, stop by Castle Macabre and vote in the poll for the Spring read-a-thon. I'm making it scary-themed again and hosting it over there and I'm asking for help to decide on a name. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently number, like, 400 on the waiting list for this book at the local library and reviews like this make it SO HARD not to just run out and buy it. ARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...I was halfway through this ebook when my library loan expired...now I'm waiting for it again...oh hurry! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!