Friday, March 23, 2012

Audio Book Review: UR by Stephen King



Tapping into our primal fears of modern technology that made Cell a #1 bestseller, Stephen King sets his sights on the latest high-tech gadget in UR, in which a mysterious e-book reader opens a disturbing window into other worlds.

Reeling from a painful break-up, English instructor and avid book lover Wesley Smith is haunted by his ex-girlfriend's parting shot: "Why can't you just read off the computer like everyone else?" He buys an e-book reader out of spite, but soon finds he can use the device to glimpse realities he had never before imagined, discovering literary riches beyond his wildest dreams...and all-too-human tragedies that surpass his most terrible nightmares.

From vintage cars (Christine and From a Buick 8) to household appliances (Maximum Overdrive) to exercise equipment (Stationary Bike), Stephen King has mesmerized us with tales of apparently ordinary machines that take on lives of their own. UR gives this classic theme an up-to-the-minute spin, resulting in a horror masterpiece for our time and for the ages.



My Review:
In all my years as a reader, audio books have yet to hook me. I just recently (Gasp) got my library card and decided to check out their selection. I picked up this book. I saw the words, novella and Stephen King, and decided to give it a go. I figured a novella would be a good into to audio books and I do love me some Stephen King.  So to the check out desk I went!

This was a good story. The concept is pretty "Stephen King." Wesley gets a Kindle after a fight with his girlfriend over his reading habits. His new toy comes in speedy quick time and pink as a flamingo. He discovers as he explores the Kindle that it can give him views of alternate realities. Hokey sounding, but it was a good start. That is where the promise ends.

The start seems as if it's a mere ad for the Amazon Kindle. It's mentioned in great detail many many times, which made me really want to stop listening. I rolled my eyes and double checked to make sure that it was actually a Stephen King story.  The concept was great, and the ending was good too. I just couldn't get over the feeling it was just a clever infomercial for the Kindle.

1 comment:

  1. I've also heard about this being quite an advertisement for the Kindle, but to try to just numb yourself to it because it was a timely writing for when that device first came out. I might have to check it out, but am sure I'll have to continually remind myself to not roll my eyes for every Kindle reference! :)

    And not to do my own plug, but...Kathleen and I are hosting an annual challenge called The Stephen King Project and you're more than welcome to participate by adding the button and linking up this review to the March post. (If you want to add the button to this review, I'd be ever so grateful!) We have prizes each month but I think we're all primarily enjoying our own experiences in reading all things Stephen King. Here's the link if you want to go on the 2012 ride with all of us: http://www.thestephenkingproject.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!